Thursday, June 9, 2022

Feed Readers - WHAT?

     If you are anything like me, you have probably never heard the word "feed reader." Honestly, I had never heard that term before this month, but what an interesting thing it actually is. This interesting concept allows users to house all the blogs they like to stay informed on in one location, it is like a Pinterest for blogs.

    While searching through multiple feed reader options, it almost became overwhelming. Most started looking the exact same as the one I had just viewed.  However, a few stood out for me to take a second look at.  My first thought when I started looking at them is that they remind me of an email inbox, you can have folders to sort items, and on some of the feed readers, you can star favorites just like you can in an inbox. Honestly, there are so many that are similar but each unique in their own way, so it boils down to a personal preference. Do you want something ordinary, or do you want something a bit more advanced to work with? 

    One of my favorites was the Ionreader one because it didn't look so much like the others. It gave me more of a Pinterest vibe versus an email inbox or playlist vibe. I liked how you could easily change the look of it up. One big benefit I have noticed that could be used in the near future is the ability to create teams to share with. This would be a big help in the schools for the librarian to be able to push out new information quickly. However, just like Ionreader, Good News got my attention for a second look too. Both had unique features, but I ended up liking the ease of use with Good News. From the very beginning, I was able to easily add topics and change up topics that they had suggested for me. I also really like like that Good News allows for so much diversity in the way you want it to look.  As stated on BloggingWizard, it comes with twelve different visual styles (Liedke 2022). This is great for someone like me who likes to change things up often, so when I get bored with one, I can just change the layout and style. Therefore, if you like to change things up I recommend giving Good News a try. 

    While mine is still in the early stages, here are a few screenshots of my setup. Right now I am using the Glamour Magazine layout, I feel like you can see so much this way.  Also here is a link to try Good News yourself https://goodnews.click/ 







References:

Liedke, L. 2022. 6 Best free RSS feed readers 2022 edition: BloggingWizard. https://bloggingwizard.com/free-rss-feed-readers/


7 comments:

  1. I completely was with you not knowing what feed readers were. As soon as I began looking at them myself, I did notice the similarity to Pinterest. I really love Pinterest myself. Kudos to you for setting up Good News. I was not successful and was quickly overwhelmed with it, so I decided to go with one of the simpler ones, Feeder. You are also correct in noticing that many looked like an email dashboard, maybe that is why I chose it because it was something familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similar to you, I did not know what feed reader really were. I never even heard the term before until I needed to create a blog on them. As you said, quite similar to Pinterest in lots of way where it keeps all of your favorite topics in one condensed space and you can freely add on as you go. Although I went for Inoreader, I like how your Good News dashboard setup looks like. It looks like a collage of newspapers read to be opened up! You did an amazing overlook of feed readers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs. Bertrand! I love that you end your introduction with the comment that feed readers are like Pinterest for blogs because that was an exact thought I had when browsing some of the different options available in the world of feed readers. I too chose GoodNews for a variety of different reasons, many of which are similar to what you found: the different display options that allow it to be customized to fit personal preferences, the ease for creating separate feed readers within the program, the simplicity of adding sources for blogs, and the various settings that made reading different blog posts convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs. B! I, too, only heard of feed readers while working on this module. For me, I prefer the more basic style. I just need my feeds to organized in an easy-to-read manner with the most current updates presented first. I think that's the best way for my brain to organize and process the information. I'm excited to utilize this new tool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second blog I have read that said that some feed readers could be set up to look like pinterest. I didn't think about this as I looked into several different feed readers. Pinterest is so popular. What a great idea to mimic this format. I have noticed from several blogs how plain my blog is. You mentioned how you get bored and love to change the format. I need to start exploring format options. I am sure an appealing blog is definitely helpful in attracting patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like most people have said, I didn't know about feedreaders until this assignment, mainly because I don't really read that many blogs. I definitely see their value for someone who does keep up with multiple blogs so that they only have to go do one site. My personal preference is to have it set up like an email inbox, but it's nice to see that there are so many options out there for personalizing the style of the feedreader.

    ReplyDelete

Year Long - Reading for Enjoyment

  Year Long - Reading for Enjoyment Grade Level : 6th - 8th  Standard(s) : AASL A.V.1 - Reading widely and deeply in multiple formats and wr...